Monday, June 18, 2012

When You Don't Ask for Fresh Towels and Get Them Anyway

There is a fantastic trend at hotels right now to not change the towels and linens on a daily basis.  This saves the hotel money, but also prevents the release of excessive detergents into the environment as well as decreases the amount of water used.  Hotels which offer this service have signs in the bathroom or elsewhere in the room that state if you desire fresh towels, to please leave them on the floor.  Otherwise, by hanging up your towel, you make known that you are okay using the same towels for multiple days.  What I have noticed, however, is that this is not the case.  I always hang up my towels, and yet I still come back to fresh ones at the end of the day. I'm not sure why this happens at pretty much every hotel I go to, and I am certainly not the only one bothered by it (see here and here).  It makes me angry because I go through the extra trouble to hang up my towels, something I don't even always get to in the mornings at home, and still come back to zero return for my effort.  I know it's not always cost-effective to be environmentally friendly but in this case I believe it is.  The hotel would save money on water, laundry detergent, the time of the maid, the time of the person doing the laundry, and on new towels due to reduced wear and tear.  It just makes sense, doesn't it?  So why does this not happen??

1 comment:

  1. There's probably a hairy Italian guy using your showers while you're away. If you think of it this way, he's doing you a favor by leaving the towel on the floor. He should, on the other hand, show you the courtesy of wearing flip flops.

    ReplyDelete