Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rubbernecking/Curiosity Delay

Once a week I have been taking an awesome cycling class at a local store that has a big studio. It's a really fantastic workout and approximately one million times better than riding at home alone on my trainer watching reruns of "19 Kids and Counting." The downside of the class is that it is a 15-minute drive to get to the 7am class, and takes 30-35 minutes to get back home after it ends at 8am. As it goes I really hate traffic so I was already frustrated on the drive home a few weeks ago because traffic seemed worse than normal. Turns out, there was a fender bender on the other side of the divided highway. Let me repeat: Not the direction I was going, but the OTHER side. No lanes were closed in the direction I was heading, no police vehicles were stopped with their lights on, signaling us to slow down. All accident-related activity was occurring on the other side of a concrete divider. Yet here we were, hundreds of cars, slowed down to a near crawl just so creepy passers-by could take a gander at the minor wreckage. Therefore, the traffic jam that resulted in a 55-minute trip home should never have happened! I mean really! What is there to see? NOTHING.

Rubbernecking is not only irritating for everyone involved, it is also responsible for its fare share of accidents, exacerbating the problem. Here's some free advice (you're welcome). When you're in the car, look at the road. Pay attention to the drivers around you. Do not look at your cell phone, or the passing trees, or an accident on the other side of the road. Focus on driving, and driving alone, and it will keep you and those around you safe, and create less hassle for me. I mean... for everyone. Cause you're all important, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment