Thursday, March 1, 2012

People who Don't Move in on the Subway (or Bus)

(Thank you to Melissa for inspiring this post)

I take public transportation in the mornings to get to school. It's great because I can zone out while reading a book, or listening to NPR podcasts or potentially scrambling to read something required for an early class. Because of where my stop is on the line, the train is fairly crowded by the time I get on. Sometimes I physically can't even get on the train. It's irritating, to say the least, but the WORST is when the train is only 75% full but you can't get on because people refuse to move back into the train to let new people on.

Look, I know it's a pain to move. You finally found a good holding place where people aren't jabbing you in the arm with giant backpacks so you don't want to give that up. I've been there, too. But I've also been the person stuck in the cold, windy rain, running late for a meeting and desperate to get on the train. And don't pretend you can't hear the announcements to "Move all the way in" or can't see the people stuck outside. Please, be courteous and move all the way into the train so that others can get on. Someday, it will be you on the other side of the closing doors.

I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or worse that this problem isn't unique to the Boston subway system. Melissa, the inspiration for this post, lives on the west coast and complained about buses. I'm not sure if it's a problem in Japan but they have people whose profession is getting people to move into the train. It seems to be a an innate human condition.

The next time you are taking public transportation, be it a bus, or a train or just one of those airport shuttles that travels between terminals, please remember this post. Be considerate to those boarding after you and move all the way in. Because if it's me stuck on the platform, you can be sure I'll be thinking how much I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment