Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When You Leave Something By Your Front Door and Forget it Anyway

Last night I had to go to a meeting at the state medical society. I didn't want to be late so I specifically left extra early to account for rush hour traffic. I got on the Pike and started driving, thinking to myself how traffic was bad but not horrible and that I should get there in plenty of time. I was about 15 minutes into my drive when I came to a horrible realization. The shopping bag full of end-of-the-year gifts for which I was responsible was still in my apartment. I cursed a lot and then got off at the next exit, only to realize I wasn't exactly sure where I was. Of course then all of the traffic lights were against me, people kept cutting me off, and I cursed a lot more on my way home. I finally rush in the door, grab the bag, run back outside, and go on my way. I managed to only be 20 minutes late to the meeting despite all of this because I had left so early in the first place, but still... I was supposed to be early.
I wish I could say that this was a one-time event, but it wasn't. This happens to me all the time. I still don't know how I can place something immediately in front of the only door to my apartment and still ignore it on the way out the door. I must have literally done a flying leap out of my apartment last night because that is the only way I could have avoided tripping over the bag on my way out. Or I temporarily lost all of my senses so that I was blind and couldn't see the bag, deaf so I couldn't hear myself tripping on the bag, and without my inner ear's sense of balance so that I could not feel myself falling over. It frustrates and angers me to no end that I have this incredible talent for ignoring all objects in my path to the front door, because I have to turn around at least 2-3x a month to get something I have forgotten. This morning I forgot my T pass and had to turn around halfway to the T stop to go get it. You may think this is not a big deal but someone let me into medical school and I'm pretty sure forgetfulness is not really a desirable skill for a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment